As i promised this is my first XBee Project. I just needed a more or less useful application i can “test” the XBee’s in a real environment.
It is in my nature to do crazy things, so i thought it would be really cool to have a notification Jabber Message to my Phone when someone put some letters for me in my letterbox. Here it is ;)
The FTDI Chip gives me A fscking LOT PAIN more to come in the next Post. DO NOT USE IT :)
This is my Setup:
- XBee “Coordinator” API Mode connected through a FTDI USB Chip to a linux box
- XBee “End Device” Interfaced with an Atmel ATTiny13v power by two 1.5v AA Batteries
- Perl XBee Module API.pm from Thomas Jager
- Jabber Perl Modules to enable sending messages
- Siemens S685IP DECT Phone that can recieve Jabber messages
Before you read further you should note that i flashed the ZIGBEE firmware (XB24-ZB) API on my XBee’s because i don’t want to miss the mesh feature.
This Setup now runs with 2x Alkaline Batterys in the End-Device for 4 weeks now, and is still running!